About Digital Ocean
DigitalOcean provides the simplest, most awesome experience to launch and maintain your server infrastructure online. As the company grows, we’re building an amazing platform, fully stocked with the features developers need to build great things. We already have a lot of exciting products in the pipeline, and will be adding many more in the coming months.
Everyone at DigitalOcean values and trusts the power of user-centered design. Our mission is to create products that'll make development way more enjoyable and infinitely less frustrating. We're a close-knit, collaborative, and light-hearted team. We’re big fans of each other’s work and we push each other to make it even better.
As a Product Designer, you'll sink your teeth into fascinating design problems. You'll be trusted to own yourproducts and see them through from ideation to implementation. You will have the opportunity to utilize the full range of your skills including strategy, research, information architecture, interaction design, visual design, and front-end development to build experiences that go beyond what's expected of a cloud host. You'll work at the forefront of our efforts and be directly responsible for decisions that shape a product used by over 500,000 developers who will shoot you compliments, gratitude and admiration over the interwebs.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Helping to build DigitalOcean into a robust cloud host, while keeping it simple, friendly, beautiful, and powerful.
- Contributing to high-level strategy in collaboration with our executive, product, and engineering teams.
- Testing your designs with users. Iterating on your designs when they don't work.
- Building, maintaining, and evangelizing our internal BEM style guide, Buoy, in Sass (it's great, we promise).
- Rapidly prototyping interfaces in code.
- Hanging out with the Design team! :)
What We'll Expect From You:
- You have 8+ years of professional experience designing mobile or web applications.
- You think in terms of design systems and make rational design decisions. You have an inherent talent for creating simple, clear solutions.
- You stress the details and care about creating truly delightful experiences.
- You have good taste and an eye for color, space, and typography.
- You're up to date regarding the latest web design and technology trends.
- You’re an expert in HTML/CSS, are able to prototype using JS, and have a good feel for technical limitations. You understand how to work with developers and how to build for them.
- You work well within a team. You're opinionated yet humble and always looking to grow.
- You're a self starter who thrives most when owning a project and running with it, rather than being told what to do. You are responsible and follow through on your commitments
Why You’ll Like Working for DigitalOcean:
- Because we have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. Archery classes, DJ lessons, and office pie fights are a thing. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- Because we value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- Because we care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to keep you fit, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- Because we invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- Because we want you to love where you work. We have a great office space located in the heart of SoHo NYC and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to take an all-expense-paid trip to our HQ to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in HQ.
- Because we value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.