This position is independently responsible for creating, installing, and implementing new web applications using the Coaching Companion content management framework.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Web Application Developer duties will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Independently design, create and develop programs, using PHP programming language and MYSQL relational database, to add functionality to the Coaching Companion content management framework based on the needs of academic and state/federal agency stakeholders. Collaborates in the assessment of preliminary requirements and technical viability of new modules, components, and enhancements. Create components/plug-ins to extend functionality of a custom content management system, as well as contribute to the development of this CMS’s core framework and coordinate work efforts with team on a continual basis.
- Designs new website layouts and components, queries and stored procedures.
- As needed, migrate database content from older applications to the newer relational database structure of the Coaching Companion content management framework.
- Develop, write and maintain thorough documentation of system processes.
- The ability to work with stakeholders throughout the design and development process of web applications. As the subject matter expert, participate in the requirements gathering and various project planning stages which include gathering initial specifications from stakeholders, coordinating work with outside vendors, and periodically meeting with stakeholders to communicate project status and insure that projects move forward towards completion.
- Executes testing routines and identifies, tests, debugs web application issues across multiple browsers, respond to and resolves bug reports relating to the Coaching Companion content management framework and as well as implement user feedback.
- Monitor and respond to system problems or emergency situations that may occur during scheduled or pre-arranged non-scheduled work hours. Response rapidly to client issues in live production environments.
- As requested by the Graphics Team, provide technical assistance with the creation and maintenance of multiple WordPress websites. As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information science, instructional technology, or a related field AND a minimum three years’ experience designing, developing and supporting database-driven websites in a production environment.
- Demonstrated experience in developing custom web applications with PHP and MySQL.
- Experience creating themes and plug-ins for WordPress, or similar CMS.
- Unix web server experience configuring web servers, including excellent working knowledge of Apache and Nginx.
- Ability to research and implement integrations with outside web services.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively as an individual contributor and member of multiple internal and external teams and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to work with and communicate technical concepts to staff with a wide range of computer/technology/media skills and knowledge.
- Ability to take initiative, set priorities, handle multiple projects and exercise good judgment in a fast paced, dynamic and deadline-driven environment in an organized and professional manner.
- Ability to think strategically, problem solve, and suggest creative solutions in line with program objectives.
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills.